Saturday, 31 December 2016

Goodbye to 2016!

I've tried writing this post a few times this week, but it just gets a bit whingey and negative, and I don't think there's much to be gained by that. My general absence on the blog is one symptom of a what has generally been a pretty rubbish year for me, physically and mentally. Give or take a hi-vis-and-tutu day or two, haha.... But there is obviously nothing to be gained by dwelling on the negative, so instead, let's look briefly at what's happened, look at the good things too, then look to the future.

I got plantar fasciitis at the end of October 2015, and spent all of 2016 trying to get rid of it. I tried everything I could (reasonably) do, with the exception of the blinding obvious; significant weightloss. But I think it just had to run its course. I stopped running completely, and on the advice of various paid specialists, worked on stretching and strengthening my glutes, calves and hamstrings. I got a new personal trainer midway through the year, and I think we're going to work well together in 2017.

The plantar fasciitis started to quieten down (but not disappear) in mid September, and I carefully and slowly started trying to run again. I started with run/walk intervals, with lots of stretching afterwards and a full rest day, to test out my PF. I even made a gentle return to parkrun after a year off!!!! By mid October 2016, I wasn't getting much PF pain the morning after a run, and very carefully during November I decided to start increasing the effort a little. Then, in the first week of December, while I was out on a lunchtime run, I turned to check for traffic as I was running across the road, and my knee took the twist, buckled, and I hit the floor. Long story short, I ended up in A&E at hospital, with a doctor diagnosing a knee sprain, and spent a few days completely housebound as I was unable to walk and put any weight through my knee without it buckling again. It's 4 weeks on, now, and I've made a very strong recovery - just some mild pain if I try to walk up or down stairs while carrying heavy things, or soreness as the end of a day which includes a lot of walking. I haven't tried running yet, it's a bit too soon to try.

On the plus side, while I've been recovering from the knee sprain, I've had NO plantar fasciitis pain whatsoever. I don't know if it's finally gone, or is just dormant because I'm not running at all, but it's a promising sign nonetheless. *thumbs up*

I went back to the gym a few days ago when I returned home from being at my parents for Christmas, and committed to making 2017 successful. There's obviously no way I'll be able to RUN a whole marathon in April, but I can't defer again, so I'm going to recover safely, strengthen my leg muscles and work on my endurance fitness, and see what the London Marathon start line brings me. I don't really want to talk about VLM though, because this is where I'm my most whingey and downbeat, so I'll just put a pin in that race for now, and focus my current attention on my main plans. I'll be in London on race day, I just don't plan on mentioning it much before then, the thought of it doesn't make me happy.

Looking back over the last 4 or 5 years, the odd-number years have been my most successful when it comes to fitness, haha. I feel this bodes well for me. I'm ending the year just around 5lbs heavier than when I started it, which isn't bad because I was 20+ lbs heavier at one point, but let's be honest, I have a lot of weight to lose. Doing so can only help my joints, and my return to fitness. That's the main focus. Lose weight, strengthen my leg muscles, safely recover from the knee sprain and the plantar fasciitis, and move forward with a focus and exercise plan that leaves me almost 'immune' from further injuries (insofar as anyone can be, I guess...).

So my own running has been largely nonexistant in 2016, and I didn't even get to plan my 100th parkrun, I only got up to number 96 - so hopefully #100 will happen in the first half of 2017. Note: I'll be trying to convince some people to join me!!! In fact, I'm hoping 2017 will be a year I can make better personal connections with people in general. For many reasons in 2016, I've felt disorientated, isolated, and largely stagnant, and the continued loneliness is a huge part of my lowest mental ebbs. Of course, that's not to say I haven't had the joy of some fantastic people being part of my life this year... see the joy-giving rainbow unicorn in this photo, for example, haha.

It comes as no surprise, though, that the most satisfying and fulfilling moments of 2016 have mostly come from my race crewing/volunteering (and my Dad getting the all clear from his prostate cancer after surgery, not a subject for this blog).  I thrive on feeling useful and of value, so being there to thrust bottles of electrolytes at people, giving encouragement and support to tiring runners, and pulling on a hi-vis vest at a race, gives me the emotional boost I need. Even just being at the finish line for a hug (like with Rob, in this pic). I'm hoping to do more of it in 2017 - I stayed away from a few races in 2016 because of the plantar fasciitis, but my plans in 2017 will definitely include some races I've never been at before. I've only ever marshalled Scottish races, so I'll look further afield this coming year. In fact, VERY MUCH further afield - I decided many months ago that I'm going to volunteer at Western States Endurance Run!!!! EEeeeekkkk!!!! There are fewer ultras more iconic than that, it's been a dream of mine for years. It'll be stupidly hot, and expensive, but it's an experience I hope I'll love and never forget.  Just got to get accepted as a volunteer first, when they open for registering, but I've already put some money aside for when I start sorting that out.

For the most part, I've absolutely loved the races I've been at this year; such as my 4th year at West Highland Way Race which was brilliant, especially getting to see James Stewart during his incredible run, and giving plenty of hugs and support to runners at Kinlochleven. I really enjoyed the Clyde Stride too, my second year volunteering, but my 4th or 5th being there supporting/spectating etc. It's a race with a special atmosphere, one of the friendliest ultras there is, I absolutely love it. I marshalled for the first time at some shorter races with great friendly atmospheres too - Southside Six in Glasgow, and the Antonine Trail Race in Croy (where the Race Director took this fabulous photo), were both fantastic days. I've marshalled, crewed or supported 10 races in Scotland this year - while I've ran none. That balance won't much change in 2017, though I won't be at some of the 'big' Scottish ultras for the first time. I'm giving the Highland Fling a miss this year, and I'll hopefully be in America at WSER100 when the West Highland Way Race is on.

Anyway. As round-ups of a year goes, this is a bit rambly and rubbish, but I felt I had to write something to draw a line under the year.  In 2017 I'll be using this blog a wee bit differently, helping me stay focussed. I'll be still writing race reports, and probably weekly (or fortnightly) updates on my own progress, but I was musing on the thought of also writing a little bit of fiction, short stories, in 2017, and adding that to the blog as well. We'll see.

Thanks for your support over the last few years, and I hope you'll see a promising change of direction from me soon, as I put this injury and weight gain behind me, and focus on building strength, fitness, and belief in myself. I did so well in my journey in 2015, I promise I can get that back. x

No comments:

Post a Comment