My plan for volunteering and supporting at Scottish ultras in 2016 would be to reduce significantly from the amount I did in 2015. Mainly because it's long days/weekends, it can get expensive, and - let's be honest - I fully expected my weekends would be focussed on my own long runs as I headed towards running a marathon, etc. So when the latter reason no longer mattered, the far more significant new reason came to the fore:
the more time I stand around at these events, the more painful my PF later that day, and the next morning. I need to rest as much as possible. So, there was the plan: much, much fewer events this year.
the more time I stand around at these events, the more painful my PF later that day, and the next morning. I need to rest as much as possible. So, there was the plan: much, much fewer events this year.
Where that plan falls down is with the people. You simply can't get past the fact that I have so many friends and acquaintances running, out to achieve fantastic results and putting themselves through real challenges, fully deserving of my support and cheering! ...and without spending time at races, there's a strong chance I sit home alone feeling sorry for myself. Plus, it makes me feel good to be useful. I tend to measure my own value on how much others value me, which may not be the healthiest way of thinking, but is sadly true! So, 2016 started. In 4 short months, I've attended 4 amazing ultramarathons - and while each is probably deserving of it's own blog post, I'm going to keep it short and sweet, and rattle 'em all off together. Sorry if you don't get a mention, there are simply far too many of you awesome people to namecheck!
12th March - D33. - Volunteering.
The 33 mile race on the Deeside Way, directed by the 'Epic Shit' race team of George and Karen, is a great start to the season. I attended for the firstr time last year, and loved it - but it's a long way to Aberdeen, so I thought carefully about it this year. My decision was swayed by a colleague deciding this would be his first ever ultra, so I decided I'd be there to support. I signed up for the same volunteer role as last year: registration, and helping Ian Beattie with the race timing and results. It's a manual results race - i.e. no timing chips. The runners cross the line, and we note down their time. It can get hectic, it's freezing cold, and having to be focussed on the finish line means far less opportunity for socialising, but I had a great time. (I got a clipboard! How can I not have a great time when someone's handed me a clipboard!!?)
The race was won by Joe Symonds, with 'Team Pyllon' pals John taking his first podium finish (I think?) in 3rd place, and Davie Gow in 9th. Absolutely brilliant to see John finish well, and he credited my pre-race hug as contributing to his success hahahaha, I'll take that! Janet Dickson took first female, and my work friend Dave ran strongly to take joint 21st place out of 334, and came away absolutely buzzing with his first ultra experience. He signed up for the Clyde Stride the very next day. :-) It was great day, and fantastic to see so many familiar faces after the winter break from ultras.27th March - Perth 50k/100k and the Anglo Celtic Plate 100k. - Crewing.
Davie had previously asked me to help crew him in the 50k, and Gerry asked if I would crew him in the 100k, so my trip to Perth was a given. (It helps that this is one that doesn't need an overnight stay for me!) Closer to race day, Davie was struck down with a sinus infection of some sort, and decided sensibly on race day to call it off. By then, I'd also reached out and offered to help Andy Crichton, running the 100k. I know Gerry is super low-maintenance in ultras, so taking on a couple of other runners wouldn't hurt! :-) I was really excited, too, to watch the ACP unfold - teams from the home nations battling each other over 100k, on a 1.4 mile lap course. James had received his first national call-up, which was just brilliant, and we had a pretty strong team in place.
The 100k race was won by Paul Navesey, who looked effortless all day. Gordon Reed had arrived to watch and help out, so he ended up helping me out with Gerry and Andy, as well as Neil MacRitchie who had picked an empty spot on the ground next to my table, so we kind of adopted him. As the 100k race was going strong at the front, sadly Gerry and Andy were both suffering - ultimately both deciding to drop out, never an easy decision. Neil also dropped out... I'm fairly confident my support skills weren't to blame, but 1 DNS and 3 DNFs is a pretty impressive achievement for me... *laughs*
It's always tough watching friends have a bad day, all I can do is be there for them, try woefully to say the right things, and generally just envelope folk in a big hug. The 50k race started when the 100k was mid-way through, and a LOT more friends and familiar faces had rocked up for this one. The results in both races were jaw-droppingly amazing. Paul won the 100k in 6:58:52, Ross Houston beat the Scottish 50k record with an incredible 2:56:37, and there were PBs aplenty. James had a tough time mid-race, but finished well for an impressive 8th place in 7:43 - the English teams took the win over the Scottish ones this year, but I have no doubt we'll get the plate back next time. (Ha, "we". I should point out I'm not Scottish.....)
2nd April - Glasgow to Edinburgh. - Spectating.
I'd suffered quite badly with my PF after Perth, since I'd been stood by the side of the race route most of the day; sitting down made me feel a bit 'out of the action', haha. However it was a valuable lesson, and I had to think very carefully about G2E. The last few years I've spectated from Falkirk Wheel cheering on the runners at a couple of points along the route; this year I decided I would just head to the finish line for a short period of time, where I could also sit down. I was hoping to see Rob Soutar repeat his result from the year before, defending the title, so I went along to the finish line nice and early, chatting to the RD and some other people. The race was won by Latvian Ruslans Sulga, who hadn't even realised he was out in front until he crossed the line and we told him he'd won! :) Rob came in 3rd, another great result for him, just over 7 hours for the 55 mile race. Rob is super-supportive and works hard for his race results, so it's always great to see him getting podium positions. In the post-race banter he was playing the 'age card' quite loudly, with the two young guys who beat him, hahaha.
After Rob left, I stayed another hour or so, and was thrilled to see Neil Rutherford finishing in 8th place, a few minutes after 8hrs. Fantastic run. I took my leave from finish line cheering after the obligatory hugs and chatting to him for a wee bit, when he headed off to get his post-race massage, and headed home. Part of me hated to do that, when there were still around 90 runners still out on the course, but I was being sensible, and thinking of myself! (Also, it had started to rain..... aw, come on, I'm not that keen!)30th April - Highland Fling. - Volunteering.
My 4th year volunteering at this amazing event, and really not a lot to say that I haven't already said in previous years!! This year, the Friday registration was extended, so I ended up working from around 12:30 through to just after 10pm - the new registration venue of Kelvingrove Art Gallery was a stunning venue, and great chance to meet some of the elites. But after a long day, as with each other year I've done this, collapsing into bed at around 11pm with my alarm clock set for shortly after 3am, I was buzzing with adrenaline and just couldn't seem to fall asleep properly at all. Saturday appeared in no time, and I was up, showered, dressed, and out at Milngavie train station for around 4:20am, to get setting up registration again. LOTS of hugs, catching up with awesome people, and answering daft questions from nervous runners, and it feels like no time has passed since I was last stood in the exact same place, doing the same thing! :-) Once the relay runners left at 7am, and we packed everything away, I had about 4 hours to get to Tyndrum, so I went for breakfast with Emma and Angela and had a good catch-up chat, before heading up the road.
I stopped into Balmaha checkpoint on the way, chatting to some of the other spectators and seeing some of the faster front runners coming through, cheering on friends like Rob Soutar, John Connolly, Craig Reid, etc. Then back on the road to Tyndrum - I unloaded my car (boxes etc. from registration) at the finish line, then headed away for a 'second breakfast' at the Green Welly. My role at the race now is to record DNFs, and by 10am they were coming thick and fast - so I ate a bacon roll while taking phone calls between each mouthful, and getting curious glances from some wee auld ladies at the next table, haha. Headed along to the finish after that. The next 10 hours were taken up with my finish line role in the 'Race HQ' tent - liaising with the timing guys, taking DNF calls, dealing with queries from runners and families, and dealing with checkpoint issues when they related to timing/missing runners and so on. It can get hectic at times, but also plenty of time to be able to see friends crossing the finish line. Plus this year, Ross and Eilidh were helping out in the timing tent too, and Eilidh kept filling up my tea flask - you can't ask for better than that!! haha!!!
More brilliant performances from friends this year, and I was really thrilled for some of them (and also gutted for friends who didn't have the day they deserved to have) but the story of the race was the pointy end, where both the male and female course records were smashed, by Donnie Campbell and Beth Pascall. Incredible performances from both, it was a fast year with all three of the male podium winners coming in under the previous course record!
My facebook status sums the race day up a bit better: "Too many amazing people to tag today for their epic races, or epic volunteering, or epic 'just being epic'ness, but some of my FAVOURITE hugs in a very long time, today. Myles, you looked incredible, I'm proud to pieces of your run today. Katy, you're a superhero full of heart and determination. Rob, you are pure class, and your category win shows what true hard work in training can get you. Norrie, believe me, your day, your year, your race, will come. Fiona, so thrilled to see your smiling face, as ever, as you take one beautiful step closer to that inspirational 100th marathon/ultra. And to everyone else I saw today, in whatever capacity, including flingbeards, Stags, and wee JGS-behatted baldy grafters fae Cumbernauld, you all inspire me to be more than I am. Thanks to the ridiculously hard-working John and Noanie for letting me be part of another incredible weekend. x x"

It's really lovely having familiar, friendly and really helpful folk provide their time for us ultra-dafties run over trails and run around in circles. It's big part of why ultra-marathoning in Scotland is such a great past time, our community is very lucky to have you as part of the family as you are without doubt one of the best ultra-marshals. THANKYOU :-)
ReplyDelete