I got the mail today, that lots of people around the country have been desperate for. I made it through the ballot - I've got a place in the 2016 London Marathon!!! OMG!!!!!! It's difficult to put my feelings into words, but there is flailing, and random outbursts of giggles in the silence of my empty flat.To say this is helping take the edge of my nerves for Sunday's race would be pretty accurate - but in truth I've been thinking about this day for months. I can't quite take it in, not the least of which will be the work involved in taking my running to the next level, and training for a full marathon!
Once I go out and achieve what I've been working so hard for this weekend in Carlisle, I have some new huge, huge challenges ahead of me, over the next 6 months. I'll no doubt be riding the most exciting, difficult, uplifting and scary rollercoaster I've ever been on, and I'm bringing you with me. x

London was my first real race and a real motivator as it's such a huge privilige to be accepted through the ballot and especially on a first attempt...train for yourself and for the many thousands who were not as lucky. X
ReplyDeleteIt wasn't my first attempt, but, thanks for your support.
DeleteSorry. My bad.
ReplyDeleteOh My Goodness :-)
ReplyDeleteI thought this year was a big one for you. There is no turning back now, this weekend will cement the present amazing chapter in your transformation, then onwards to the marathon,
I have been holding back from suggesting that you might be ready to considering doing a marathon, not wanting to be put any pressure on, but you are well ahead of me, And for sure as you have done for the rest of the this year, "you can, you will, but not end of story..." there will be plenty more stories that will unfold. London will be another milestone and another chapter.
For now though, you've got a job to do on Sunday, London can wait, time to get back and focus on the present as exciting as they may be. Focus your nervous energy on getting fully prepared, dialling in to running a good race on Sunday. Relaxed, focused, positive and resilient, 11 min/miles from start to finish. And yes you might just get a bit emotional in the last few miles, you've come so far, so many positive things have happened, but keep the focus and nail it.
Good luck!
Thank you!! :-) I've been thinking about a 2016 marathon for a while (I'll be honest, looking more for an autumn one, to give me 'time') but you can't miss the chance to put in for the ballot... I'd tried before, and been 'unlucky' (though I had been super relieved when I missed out, haha) - but was still absolutely floored to find the 'yes' magazine waiting for my return from work last night.
DeleteIt was only fairly recently when my training for Carlisle was going so strongly, and my attitudes changing to a lot of things, that I really began to find the 2016 marathon a do-able idea. I officially committed to one, in my head, about a month ago, and started researching which one I would pick were I unsuccessful with London. I'm under no illusions about the amount of work I'll need to do, physically and mentally, but it's brilliant to see people get behind me and support me on my continuing journey! x x
There no need to be intimidated by the marathon. Training wise you are already three quarters the way there. Starting to enjoy runs is perhaps the biggest bit, means that training needn't be a chore.
DeleteSure you've only do 13 miles as your furthest so far, but you can now do this without any walking breaks - something that seemed like an impossible feat at the start of year. Add some walking breaks and take the running easier and I'm sure you'll be able to coax yourself along to do 18 miles right now. It'll be more a case of mentally accepting you already have this within you than physical side. Yes there would physical discomfort in the last few miles, and you'd be stiff for a few days afterwards, but you've overcome this plenty of times this year already and come back stronger and faster.