Thursday, 10 September 2015

Womens Running 10k Glasgow (not Glasgow) 2015

Women's Running magazine hold a series of women-only 10k races across the UK each year, and earlier this year I signed up for the "Glasgow" one, which is actually in Strathclyde Park, Motherwell. I knew that Strathy Park is largely pretty flat, though the route follows the loch all the way round, and it definitely gets a bit undulating for a wee bit, but generally, I should hopefully do okay. That was the plan, when I first signed up aaaages ago - just something to keep me focused over the summer. However, by the time the race came along things had changed a bit, as I'd started training for the October half marathon, and regular incorporating speed sessions into my training. So now it was becoming a "test", for me - to see how I'm doing, since getting my 10k PB of 1:07:02 back in May, in Glasgow.

I didn't have any real nerves about this race - sure, I wanted to do well, and that was definitely at the back of my mind in the few days before, and I did get a wee bit obsessed checking the weather forecast, but in general I knew this wasn't one of my "big" races, so there was little point in getting stressed. I took a full rest day on Saturday, ate well (no junk!) and got an early night - Sunday morning I work early, ate a full breakfast at around 6am (potatoes, eggs and ham) and relaxed with a mug of tea, before getting ready for the race. I left the flat at around 8, drove across to Strathy Park with my cheesiest motivational music playing the whole way. :-) Caught up with Vicky who was marshalling, when I arrived, then just readied myself until time to get to the start line.

Standing thinking how strange it was I knew nobody around me, I suddenly heard a voice: "hi, is it Sarah?" - sometimes, though I don't know anyone, one of the anyones knows me! Haha. So Lesley introduced herself, she was pacing 70 mins (and did so really well, it turned out), and after a nice bit of chat, I carefully moved a bit further forward in the crowd. No offence to her, but I was distancing myself physically from the 70 minute marker, to enable distancing myself mentally too! The 5km race at the front set off, then 3 minutes later so did we.

The first 5km was flat, with a turn at 2km. I very clearly decided it was poorly organised and chaotic around the turn and the 1km before/after, but later changed my mind on that - probably no other way they could have done things. Regardless, it broke the race up into chunks nicely. We were back at the start line by 4km, then it was a single full lap of the lake to get back to the finish - onwards!! It was hot, hot, hot though, and by the time I reached the water station at 5km (in my second fastest ever 5km time, around 32 minutes) I was definitely ready for it! I grabbed a bottle, where the marshal had removed the top, and tried to drink on the move, but the bottle was a lightweight type of plastic, and full to the top, so it squeezed and I somehow managed to spill water up my nose!!!!! I spluttered, and slowed to a walk, while I got a proper drink, and tried to calm down a bit, haha. Walking for maybe a minute, I started running again just in time for the only hilly bit of the course - approximately 1km of undulations that I managed pretty well. I was overtaking a few folk here, although I was slowing a bit myself, and I was just focussing on putting one foot in front of the other. After the hills, I had 4 flat kilometres to go, and just tried to ignore how horribly hot it was, as I ran on.

I took grateful advantage of a water station at 8km, purposely spilling loads over my hands (sausage fingers) as well. By 9km, I was cursing the fact that the race finish line was about 500m past the usual parkrun finish I'm used to - it just seemed sooooo far away, and my pace felt like I was wading through treacle now! But soon enough, the finish line came into sight, and I managed a short sprint finish to cross the line in a fantastic 1:04:48 - a new PB by over 2 minutes!! I'd worked very hard for it, in very hot conditions, and I couldn't have been more pleased. This was just the boost I needed, and pushed me into the following week which turned out to be one of the more successful training weeks I've had to date... For me, success breeds more success, and a new 10k PB was just what I needed to help me keep the momentum up, and the focus on the half marathon next month. Bring it on!!!!!

2 comments:

  1. Wahooo, another great PB, over 2mins is huge margin, especially impressive given the hot conditions, this will have cost you time for sure. Looks like you judged your pace really well too finishing the first and second halves pretty close to even pacing.

    Plugging your new 10k PB into the online McMillian Running Calculator it comes up with a 31min 5k, and a 2:24 half marathon. This estimate is based on the slow down seen with elite's so converting 10k pace to half marathon pace is tougher for us mere mortals, but conversely it also means that short distances races may well be faster. I wouldn't be surprised if you could do a sub 31 min 5k, while a a sub 2:30 half marathon seems well within reach too.

    I suspect you could run a half marathon PB in a training run these days, just take it easy let the miles tick by and when you look down at the watch at the end of 13.1 miles you'll get a nice surprise :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Robert!! There'll be a post up in a day or two about my long runs in training, keep an eye out. x x

      Delete