Monday, 20 April 2015

This is getting silly...

So, it appears that my improvements in 2015 are continuing at a bit of a pace. How strange..! Saturday I went to Edinburgh parkrun, to test myself on the pancake-flat course, I wanted to finish under 35 minutes if I could (should have been able to, given that the last two weeks I'd ran the hillier Falkirk and Pollock parkruns in 35:21 and 35:17 respectively), and get a bit closer to my all-time 5km PB of 34:04 obtained at Edinburgh parkrun almost 3 years ago. What actually happened was... well, I think I used the words 'speechless' and 'gobsmacked' afterwards.

I set off in the middle of the 400-strong crowd, purposely so I could be 'pulled along' over the first 500m or so, before the crowds start to thin out a little. The first 1km beeped at 6:35 - which I was pleased with. It was fast (for me), and gave me a nice cushion for coming under 35 mins, but once the main crowd was thinning and I was settling into my own run, I slowed very slightly, and ran the 2nd and 3rd kms both in 6:45. Wow! This had taken me past the halfway point of the route which I've had a mental block with in many of my previous runs there - and I'd turned into the wind a bit for the way home. I checked my HR, and it was staying around 188-190, so I knew I was working hard, but it seemed steady there, so I pushed on a little. The 4th km was 6:30. What?!! My heart rate was now staying up around 195-196, but I kept going... there's a little fork in the path for the last 400 metres at Edinburgh, and as I passed 4kms, my eyes were focussed on that fork. I thought, I've got to slow down very slightly before I get there, get my heart rate to level off a little bit, then when I get on the finish straight I'll be able to push harder down to the finish line - so for maybe a minute or so I consciously slowed my pace a little bit, before finally pushing hard on the long straight home. Edinburgh always measures long, because of the official measuring being done on the perfect racing line on a wide pathed windy route, so the 5th km beeped on my watch when I was still about 50 metres from the finish line. The 5th km was 6:22. Oh. My. Goodness. By the time I crossed the finish line, my total for the full parkrun was 33:18. .......Thirty. Three. Eighteen.

Crossing the line, I knew I'd given it everything I could, there was no way I'd have been able to run a single step more - that's quite a rare feeling for me. My heart rate was 203 when I crossed the line - it had been steadily, gently increasing the whole way, and I knew I'd worked hard for this result. A result, have I mentioned, that is 46 seconds off my all-time PB, and a whole EIGHT MINUTES off the last time I ran this event, just over 4 months ago. And another rare feeling for me was seeping through: pride.

So, Sunday came along with a bit of motivation. Yes, my 5km times are improving, and yes, I have a 10km race in 4 weeks' time, but there's also the Half Marathon two weeks after that, and I can't ignore that. So, Sunday's aim was to run/walk 8 miles. I chose to use 4 miles from the actual HM route, as an out-and-back, so ran from Leith Links to Musselburgh along the Portobello and Joppa seafront. This was a "Long Run" (and it really is, to me, even though many folk reading this would consider 8 miles very short!), so I purposely set out at a slow, steady pace, something akin to what I was doing the couple of times I've ran 60 minutes recently. My heart rate settled at around 160-165 bpm, and I tried to keep it in that range. because as daft as it sounds, I've finally learned over these last 3 weeks how to do that!!! :-) Mainly, I had no expectations on my run/walk splits for this run, but equally I didn't want to enforce a walk just for the sake of some sort of structure; I decided to go with what I 'felt'. The cadence chart below shows how much I ran compared to walking, and shows one main thing: after 1 hour, my thinking fell apart. This felt a little like uncharted territory in the 'still running' area, after my recent runs, and I struggled mentally to even keep running for more than 2 to 3 minutes at a time. My heart rate never got higher than 165-ish, so physically I was managing, but mentally I was returning to familiar ways.


At first, I got annoyed with myself for this - but being self-derogatory and negative during a run is obviously not where I want to be this year, so I had a bit of a think about this, and came out in a much better place. Ultimately, I covered 8 miles in 1:42, which is a very decent pace for a slow run for me, and still bodes well for a good HM time in 6 weeks' time. Plus, feeling 'comfortable' with 60 minutes of effort is brilliant, and still very new for me, so what's not to say that in a few months, I won't be just as 'comfortable' (ha) with 2 hours of running?? Evert day is progress, and I can't expect too much too soon. It's still a head game, in a big way, but I'm still on my journey, and still excited to see what I can achieve.

Davie and Julie came through in the afternoon, and we went out for dinner. I blew my kcals for the day, big time, on a huge burger with blue cheese and bacon, and chips and crisp onion rings dipped in mayonnaise... and I don't regret it for a moment. If I were a weightlifter, I'd call it a 'refeed' - but regardless the concept is the same. It's good for my metabolism, I reckon, and moreover, it tasted bloody delicious - and a huge part of addressing my poor thinking around food this year is removing guilt from eating things I "shouldn't". Plus, it was a meal out with friends, instead of sat alone in my flat. Win!!

6 comments:

  1. Fantastic racing Sarah. You've worked so hard with your diet, training and mental resilience this year that a big breakthrough like this was on the cards. It's really looks like everything you've been working on came together in the race.

    You are right to draw positives from your 8 mile run/walk, a day after a 5km PB most of us would be hobbling around taking it easy, the fact that you were able to run for such long stretches at all is great. Yep, definitely deserved the tasty burger.

    Well done. Warm glow all week is fully deserved :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - I'm really, really pleased, and it's definitely progress like this that motivates me to continue, too. :-)

      Delete
  2. Just welled up AGAIN lol! Stop making me cry lol! You totally deserved to enjoy that burger :-)

    You look so fit in that picture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. CONGRATULATIONS!

    Well done Sarah! You smashed it - enjoy your burger!

    xx

    P.S you are looking well in your picture! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Heather! :-) It was a reeeeally good burger, lol. x

      Delete