Well, I finally made the decision a couple of days ago to DNS ('did not start') at Edinburgh for the half marathon in the EMF races this weekend. I signed up ages ago, thinking it would be my "comeback" HM after my bad races at the end of 2013, but - well, it's not to be. I'm not race fit by any stretch of the imagination, and I finally made the call when I worked out the pace I was need to keep to stay ahead of the sweeper, and compared it to current ability.
I'm feeling okay about it, though perhaps a tad frustrated. I'm starting over, and I'm in a positive place mentally, so I'm using the holiday weekend off work to do some relaxed reading, a bit of exercise, and continue on the early stages of my route back to running the half marathon distance. I was the gym on Wednesday, did some good work on the rowing machine, and with weights doing deadlifts, kettlebell swings, and suchlike. It's difficult not to compare with what I used to lift, but I have to be pleased with what I'm currently doing, after such a long period of inactivity. Nothing like swinging a 16kg kettlebell over and over to make you feel good, lol. Also, I'm managing well with walking over 10,000 steps a day. Things are going well... Today I'm going to spend some time reading some of that stuff that Robert mentioned in the comments of my last post, and get a good walk in.
Lovely!!
No comments:
Post a Comment