Wednesday, 26 February 2014

I've remembered what my legs are for!

This morning marks the first time I've actually walked to work in 2014. I've been using too many excuses for why I 'need' to take the car to work - and I live... oh, it's embarrassing admitting this... I live ONE mile away from the office! So I left my car keys behind and walked to work this morning, along the river. I took my time, watching ducks, looking for any snowdrops peeking through, smiling at folk on the path, that kind of thing. Reminding myself that walking to work can be a really lovely way to start the day - even if it's a grey kinda day.

I'm finding it really slow to get back into the routine and habits of a healthy lifestyle, but every day I'm celebrating small victories. Last night I got home late, and normally I would have used that as excuse to eat rubbish for dinner, because there's 'no time' to cook. Actually, last night, I chopped some cooked chicken up, and flung it in the wok with some pre-prepared stirfry veg, sizzled it round for a couple of minutes, then added a bit of hoisin sauce and a spash of water. Delicious. As long as I HAVE veg (whether or not its chopped and ready to go) in the fridge, I shouldn't need to eat rubbish. It's all just about being organised. (Ha.) Oh, and afetr writing the other day about food good for balancing moods, I've had salmon, walnuts, loads of veggies, and trying to find good low fat dairy products. It's too early to say whether it will have much difference, but I'm sticking with it.

I need to just start being more active in general, regardless of what gym workouts, swimming, running or badminton I do. If I work out for 45 minutes on a morning, but then sit on my arse the whole rest of the day, where's the benefit?!! So it's going to be all about walking, for a while. Use the car only when really necessary, not just when I can think of a good enough excuse! Plus I'll be starting my 12 week half-marathon training this weekend, and anything else I can do to stay active during this 12 weeks can only be a benefit. To borrow the ultra-runner mentality for a moment (don't worry, I'm not keeping it), it's all 'time on my feet'.

1 comment: