...which is actually kind of freeing, in a way. If I stop giving myself such a hard time all the damn time, and see myself as a clean, blank canvas, then the opportunities open up in front of me, and perhaps - just perhaps - I can achieve anything. Like... Well, this photograph was my Sunday evening. I didn't manage to complete walls I might have been able to a year ago, but who cares? I'm a new blank canvas, remember? I can stop thinking about what I could achieve a year ago. Stop thinking about where my running "ought" to be at the moment, and what I "ought" to be able to run, and just go out there and start from scratch. Take it slowly, but structured, and just go out to improve from where I am today, not to 'return to where I was 18 months ago' or similar.Easier said than done, because not only am I my own worst enemy, but there are occasionally people who seem almost personally offended by my lack of improvement, but I know the important people in my life don't judge me. I'm trying very hard to stop beating myself up all the time, and this is a place where I can really work to do that. So, although it's a terrible cliché: new year new start.
Food-wise, I've started tracking everything I eat with the myfitnesspal app on my iPhone. So far, so good. I'm not brilliant at completing the data when I eat (filling it all in at the end of the day, meaning I have to try hard to remember everything I ate in detail), which I need to get better at if I want to be more mindful, but it's a nice wee intuitive app, and I'm a sucker for stats. :) It was easier to cook better meals for myself when I was still off work, but I just need to get my life a wee bit more organised to bring healthy food into the office with me, and the world's my oyster. x
I dislike that anyone is or seems personally offended by your level of progress, that is not constructive or helpful. It's easy to say, don't let it get to you and their opinion matters but it's not always as easy to feel it. I still get unpleasant things shouted at me when I'm out for a run (most recently directions to the chippy - yeah thanks!) and I know I don't even know these people and shouldn't care but it's actually really hurtful and some days it floors me and I just can't manage to not be upset by it. I doubt that's helpful in any way but my first instinct was to say - don't worry about those people's opinion, especially if they can't be supportive but on reflection the more response is to say actually yeah it shouldn't matter but sometimes you can't help but let it.
ReplyDeleteI hope you see the improvements that are important to you this year and the hell with anyone else's opinion :)
*the more honest response
DeleteThanks Angela - thankfully it's nobody close to me, and the one specific person I have in mind isn't worth bothering about! But you're bang on it can be hurtful, and I have to try not to let it get to me. x x
DeleteIf you ever work out how to dismiss that kind of stuff please do let me know - I'd gratefully wave goodbye to the several consecutive sleepless nights thanks to my slightly obsessive tendencies. x
ReplyDelete